Blog Archive

Saturday, July 24, 2021

2021 K-Town Virtual Duathlon July 11, 2021

 




Run 4 km

While PJ Harvey was wailing about the atrocities of war in Let England Shake, I could hear an annoying high-pitched whistling in counterpoint.  At first I was puzzled as to where it was coming from, but then I realized it was coming from me. It’s not very often that I wheeze while running, but of course it would happen today. I coughed to clear the mucus, but the whistling remained. I coughed again, with the same result. I checked my heart rate which was at about 160 bpm, perfectly normal (for me). So that meant my bronchial tubes were probably swollen and there wasn’t anything I could do about that now without my inhaler. So I just kept running and hoped it wouldn’t get worse.

As I passed a few people, I could see them looking at me strangely, obviously hearing me wheeze.  I just smiled and waved. Nothing to see here.

I was on the first leg of the K-Town Duathlon and was hoping to complete the 4 km run with a 5:05 km pace and for the first 2 kilometres I did just that, wheezing an all. But by the 3rd kilometre, the constant feeling of breathing through a straw was my undoing and my pace dropped to 5:25/km. After a kilometre at a slower pace I was able to pick up my pace again, but not enough to make up the difference. I ended up with a 5:15 km pace.




I arrived home absolutely drenched and dripping in sweat. Although the temperature was only 20 degrees and overcast, there was 80% humidity and I felt like a wet rag in need of a wringing out.

 



Bike 30 km

Cilla was waiting for my arrival with my cycling gear on the deck and took pictures as I got ready. With my breathing more-or-less under control I headed out for the bike portion. This leg was only 30km, which meant it was really more of a sprint pace. Unfortunately my strength is endurance, not speed.

 

I went down Woodbine Ave, enjoying the fast descent, then continued onto Lakeshore Blvd where I got to ride on the eastbound traffic lane. I stretched out my legs and flew on the flat roadway, passing other slower riders out for a casual lazy Sunday ride. I turned left onto Martin Goodman Trail, and weaved around the tight-blind corners with equal caution and exhilaration. I was riding at a good pace—about 33 km/hour, right on target to hit my 30km pace I set as a goal. Once I reached Cherry Beach, I turned around and retraced my steps back to Lakeshore Blvd. where I picked up the entrance to the Lower Don Trail. This trail was not as easy to keep a quick pace. The exposed tree roots made me feel as if I was mogul training and it was impossible to keep a quick pace for fear of flying right off my bike. Most of the trail was like this and with the bridge crossings and numerous people out for a stroll it was tough to keep pace. Just after reaching the forks of the Don, I went under the overpass where I came upon a huge pool of water where the river had flooded the road. The only way forward was to go through it. The water was brown and murky and it was only when I was in it that I realized how deep it was. The water went halfway up the wheels and it was cold, smelly and I was drenched within seconds.

 

As I continued forward I could feel the water sloshing around in my shoes. I only had about 3 kilometres left and soon came to the exit out of the valley. Just as I was ascending the hill a kid about 5 or 6 years old was walking down. As he got closer I looked at him and smiled. He returned my look with a hint of mischief in his eyes and before I new it he had thrown the walnut he had in his hand in my direction, clearly with the intention of striking me. Luckily his aim was off and it fell a couple feet in front of me. Roger Clemens, he’s not.

 

I arrived home feeling great but was a little disappointed that I didn’t achieve my 30km/hr pace. I was a little slower at 28.2 km/hr. Cilla was ready to help again and after a quick change of shoes and towelling off I was ready to hit the road again for my last leg.



 

I would have much preferred to have done the longer run first and the shorter run last, but this just adds another challenge to the race.

 



7.2 km run

 

I hit Taylor creek again for the 3rd time that day and luckily my breathing was in better control than it was earlier. My first kilometre was rather promising at a 5.09/km pace but it soon slowed to a more manageable pace of 5:24/km.

 

The trail was much busier now with many families going on bike rides and picnics and walks. I dodged in and around them, making space where I could pass. There were a few other regular runners and we exchanged greetings. As I tired, I tried to focus on my music for inspiration to keep me moving. Stiffness was settling in and it felt like I was being held back with an invisible rope and no matter how hard I pushed forward, my legs just couldn’t respond. My pace slowed a little more and I arrived home with a 5:26/km pace.

 


In total, the duathlon took me 2:04:14. Not as fast as I expected, but I was still happy with my results. It was a great experience, and it gave me a little taste of how I would fair in a live race.

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Release! Dare to Run: Marathon Training While Navigating Life With a Toddler and Managing Chronic Pain

  When I started training for my first marathon, I looked for books to read about other women's experiences of beginning running at an o...