Blog Archive

Wednesday, June 2, 2021

Back on the Bike

 



There’s an old saying that goes “you never forget how to ride a bike,” and a very complicated scientific explanation as to why. But as I saddled up to ride for the first time in 6 years, I didn’t care why, I just hoped that the theory was indeed true. I was once an avid cyclist, riding on average 500-700 kilometres a week and for several years my life revolved around my bike. When we adopted Cilla, bike riding became impractical so I took up running, something I could easily do with her by putting her in the running stroller and heading out the door. Unfortunately, my poor bike sat neglected in the basement collecting dust, getting only occasionally use on the trainer.

But with Cilla getting older and in school full time, I thought now would be the perfect time to get back on the bike. Maybe not with the previous epic rides, but an hour ride every morning before Cilla started school.

Before venturing out I had to get my bike in working order. I’m sure it needed a proper tune-up, but with Ontario on lockdown it was virtually impossible to get an appointment. So instead I ordered what I needed from Gears and spent a Sunday afternoon working to get it rideable. After giving it a thorough cleaning, I lubed the chain and replaced some of the handlebar tape that was peeling off.  I replaced both tires and inner tubes and it took a lot of wrestling on my part to get the damn tire on. I hoped like hell I didn’t get a puncture on the road because it would take me half the day to just to change it.  I don’t remember it being that hard before. And wouldn’t you know, after putting the tire back on and pumping some air into it, the damn thing exploded. So, I was the lucky SOB that got to spend a further 30 minutes wrestling with it.

I also bought a new seat bag for the tools and extra tubes and put new batteries in my lights and computer. There wasn’t much else to do—everything seemed to be in working order.

As I left the house for my first ride, I felt a little like a newborn lamb trying to find its legs while toddling after its mother. I was not feeling exactly confident with my skill level. We (the bike and I) were both a little older, a little slower and a little out of practise. I was worried I wouldn’t remember how to change the gears or would forget which foot to use when unclipping and fall in the most embarrassing way. I felt, and most likely looked, like a newbie.

It was early as I headed out on the trails (I had decided to forgo the roads while I was getting back my riding skills). By leaving at an early hour I was hoping to avoid the congestion on the trails. It would also mean a smaller audience if I fell or did something stupid. As I descended into the valley, I white-knuckled the breaks like mad. My younger self would have been mortified, but I was not used to speed and worried if I hit a pothole I would go flying. It was going to take some time to trust myself and my bike.

I was quite cold as I puttered along—I had forgotten how to dress on the bike and clearly didn’t wear enough layers. When running you dress for weather 10 degrees warmer than the thermometre, but when cycling, you need to dress for weather colder than the thermometre. I didn’t have a lot of cycling clothes to choose from since my old clothes were extra-small and I was a few pounds heavier. But I made do with what I had and took note to wear a cycling jacket next time.

I was quite slow, partly because I unclipped every time I got to a narrow bridge and also because the trails aren’t really conducive of speed. The uneven ground sent shock waves up my arms and into my head. I forgot how much you feel every bump and groove on uneven road surface, and it made me cautious and slow.

I was also slower because the muscles I needed to ride well were undeveloped. Running and cycling both move in the sagittal plane (forward and backward movement), and share some muscle groups, but the core muscle groups used are different. While running I mostly use my calves and hamstrings but when cycling I’m using mostly quads, and buttock muscles.

After an hour I had completed 22 kilometres with no major mishaps, apart from being frozen solid. It took a couple hours to thaw out, just in time to go for my run. (You didn’t actually think I was going to stop running?)

It’s been three weeks since my first ride and I’m faster and much more confident on the bike. I don’t brake on the downhills and am able to negotiate tight corners now. I ride for an hour in the morning before Cilla has school and then I go for a run at lunchtime.

It is true what they say—you don’t forget how to ride a bike. And you certainly don’t forget the freedom and excitement that comes with that!

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Release! Dare to Run: Marathon Training While Navigating Life With a Toddler and Managing Chronic Pain

  When I started training for my first marathon, I looked for books to read about other women's experiences of beginning running at an o...