Blog Archive

Monday, December 21, 2020

Toronto Women’s 416 Run Challenge—Week 7, Challenge Complete

 




On Friday December 18, 2020 I finished the 416 challenge, running 416 kilometres in 48 days. It’s not unusual for me to feel post-race blues after achieving a big accomplishment, and this was no different. The challenge had come to an end and I was feeling a little sad. We have been taught that the attainment of the goal is the reward, but really it’s the process of attaining that goal that brings happiness. I love the physical and mental journey of each challenge and seeing how far I can push myself.

 

But what exactly is an ending?  According to the Oxford dictionary, an ending is a final part of something, especially a period of time, an activity, or a story. Endings can be sad, or sometimes relieving. Endings can be happy or they can be bitter. An ending can be triumphant, exhilarating or disappointing. Endings can come with regret. Endings can pull people together, or tear them apart.

 

But no matter the outcome, all things must come to an end. But the end of this challenge is really just the beginning of the next. Everything I learned both physically and mentally can be applied to the next challenge. The endurance and strength I have achieved won’t go away just because the challenge has ended. The only difference is, the next challenge I will run faster and stronger.

 

When I set about doing this challenge it was a way to ensure I got myself out the door for fresh air and exercise. I love to run, but sometimes that’s just not enough. In the early hours of the morning when it’s still dark outside and I’m tired and really not wanting to get up, it helps to have something to motivate me to get out the door. I love a challenge, even if it’s just a competition with myself and as an Aries I will do anything to achieve my goal even if that means ramming obstacles with my horns.

 

This challenge was also a way to stay connected with the running community. With only virtual races to train for, it can be very difficult to feel a part of the running community. Races were events that enabled like-minded people, regardless of age or ability to come together and share and celebrate a common interest and goal. Without in-person races there is a feeling of disconnect.

 

I run by myself, but I’m really not alone. There are other runners I pass on the trail every day and we wave and sometimes exchange a few words. I don’t know anything about these people—their names, their jobs, their families, their favourite colour—but I feel connected with them through our mutual love of running and the outdoors.

 

Weekly Run Recap

On Sunday I ran another 24 kilometres, but it was brutal. Right from the moment my alarm went off I didn't want to get up. The headache and backache that I had been struggling with the past couple of days was still tormenting me. This was the first time in forever that I didn't feel like running. The thought of staying in bed and falling back to sleep was really appealing, but I got up and ran anyway. There were many times I wanted to turn back and go home, but I kept going.

 

Wednesday morning my alarm woke me out of a deep sleep. Funnily enough I was dreaming about running a marathon. As I lay in our attic bedroom I could hear the wind whipping around outside. The temperatures were -16 degrees with the winds gusting at 66 km an hour. When I set out it was still dark outside and the streetlights were still on. I didn't see anyone on the trail for 1 kilometre and the fierce wind nipped at my exposed cheeks.

 

Friday was my last day of the challenge and I ran my last 8 km. It was also Cilla’s last day of virtual school before the Christmas holidays and the teacher had a lot of fun things planned for them. They had a scavenger hunt, a dance party, games, a movie and Cilla played Jingle Bells for her class on the piano.

 

I can’t ever finish one challenge without having another one lined up and ready to go, so in January I will be continuing where I left off and run another 416 km in the 416 Run Challenge Gold. I also have more virtual races lined up since in-person races are cancelled for the next undetermined period of time. But, no matter what, I will be running!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Release! Dare to Run: Marathon Training While Navigating Life With a Toddler and Managing Chronic Pain

  When I started training for my first marathon, I looked for books to read about other women's experiences of beginning running at an o...