Blog Archive

Monday, November 30, 2020

Toronto Women’s 416 Run Challenge—Week 4, Running in Snow

 


Last Sunday morning I was running on the trail when big, fat snowflakes fell silently from the sky. They kissed my cheeks, stinging them slightly. My legs became damp where the snow melted against the heat of my skin, but they soon warmed. The nearby trees, some who were still hanging onto the last of their leaves, were snuggled under a white blanket, cozy and content as if to sleep soundly the rest of the winter. My pace slowed as the snow formed a veil in front of me, barring visibility and as the snow accumulated on the trail it became difficult to tell where the path started and where it ended.

 

There’s something magical about running in a snowstorm: It’s like being in a snow globe after it’s been vigorously shaken and the world becomes a winter wonderland. It has a way of bringing out my inner child.                                                                           

 


The next day however, after many people had walked through the snow, packing it together into hard, uneven surfaces with slippery patches, it was difficult to run on. The city of Toronto was no longer clearing away the snow on sidewalks and apparently home owners decided they weren’t going to either.  At first I was stumbling a bit, a little unsure of my footing, and I went slowly to gauge each step. There was no ‘zoning’ out like there usually is and I kept my strides short and quick, keeping my feet under my body and close to the ground to avoid slipping and falling. It was a good test of balance, strength and co-ordination. I got some reprieve by running on the road when traffic wasn`t too bad.  By the end of the run, muscles I don’t usually use were tired and sore.

 

 

Tips for Running in the Snow:

 

Know Your Snow There are many different types of snow: powder, wet, crud, crust, slush and ice are the main ones.  When running, not all of these will react the same. The best type of snow is the wet, heavy snow and the worst is slush and ice.  It’s important to know the type of snow you are running on because it will affect how you handle yourself. 

 

Footwear If snow is fresh and powdery, chances are you can wear your normal trail or road shoe. If the snow is packed, icy or slushy, you can wear YakTrax or Kahtoola spikes over any kind of running shoe.

 

Forget about Pace Running in snow requires greater effort and is a lot more challenging than running on roads or trails. Slow down, glide, skate or even walk when going through icy sections to prevent falling.  Forget about pace and run by effort instead.

 

Alter Gait Running in snow conditions that are slippery will affect your gait. Taking long, normal strides in the snow means your foot will be landing in front of your body, and that makes it harder to stabilize and easier to slip. Instead, take shorter, quicker steps, keeping your feet under your center of gravity and low to the ground. This helps prevent slipping, or straining a muscle.

 

 

 

Weekly Running Recap

I ran a total of 60.18 km this week, bringing my total to 218.66 km. I`ve now passed the halfway point and have 197.34 km left.

 

It was another interesting week regarding the weather. It started out like winter, but ended like spring. That would be great if winter was really that short. I ran 18 km in the snow on Sunday and when I got back I had my shower and put my pajamas back on and stayed in them the rest of the day. It was nice not to have any running around to do and we spent a cozy day at home.  With Toronto being on lockdown most stores are closed anyway. Cilla spent a good couple of hours building her gingerbread house and then we watched a Christmas movie together.

 


By Tuesday the snow had completely melted and I was able to safely run in the trail. It gets pretty icy down there in the valley and I didn’t want to be slipping and sliding everywhere. Every day I get to run down there is a gift because once winter hits, the trails aren’t maintained and it’s almost impossible to run safely.

 

Cilla befriended a girl in her virtual school and the teacher arranged for them to have a virtual playdate after school on Thursday. It was really cute to watch them talk with each other, and sharing their favourite things. I think the other little girl had emptied the entire contents of her bedroom in front of the computer. At one point they each had their jewellery boxes out and were showing each other their favourite necklaces, bracelets and rings. Afterwards Cilla made a card for her and showed it to her the next day. Virtual school can be tough on the kids, but it’s nice to see the adults in their lives trying to make their lives as fun and normal as possible.

 

That night I developed a terrible stomach bug and I didn’t sleep much, but I still managed to get up in the morning and run 8 kilometres, albeit slowly. I desperately wanted to have a nap that afternoon, but I needed to stay awake to help Cilla with her school work and then teach piano virtually to my students. Luckily I slept soundly that night and Trish let me sleep in the next morning, bringing me coffee in bed.

 

Every week my mileage is increasing and as it looks right now, I may be able to finish one week early. It all depends whether I can keep it up for the next three weeks.

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Release! Dare to Run: Marathon Training While Navigating Life With a Toddler and Managing Chronic Pain

  When I started training for my first marathon, I looked for books to read about other women's experiences of beginning running at an o...