Blog Archive

Monday, October 5, 2020

Toronto Waterfront Virtual 10 km Race

 


It was still dark when my alarm woke me from a deep sleep. I was disoriented at first, one foot still in dreamland as I slowly brushed off the cobwebs of sleep. I could hear the rain softly beating a tattoo on the skylight as I tried to extract myself quietly from my cozy little nest without waking Trish. I gathered my race clothes and as I climbed down the stairs from our loft bedroom, Flynnie, our affectionate orange tabby was waiting for me, crying pitifully from lack of attention over the last few hours. I gave him a cuddle and then fed him and his sister their breakfast.

 

I signed up to do the Toronto Waterfront virtual double-up—both the 10 km race and the half marathon in the month of October. This morning I was doing the 10 km race and on October 25th I would run the half marathon.

 

Training so far has gone well, although my body leading up to the race felt heavy and tired. I actually missed my long run on Sunday because I was exhausted with a headache and backache. I probably could have pushed myself to do it, but I was worried it would leave me feeling even worse.

 

I was following a 10 week sub-1:50 half marathon training plan that I downloaded from Runner’s World website in the hope of bettering my half marathon time. (I have no hope that I will actually achieve a sub 1:50, but thought the program might help push for a faster time). Usually I create my own training plans but they were becoming mundane and I was losing motivation.

 

It’s been years since I’ve raced the 10 km distance because I’ve been focusing on longer distances, but I was hoping to complete the 10 km race in 53 minutes, which would be a personal best. Because we decided to keep Cilla home from school and have her learn virtually, I had to get my runs finished before she started school at 9am which meant getting up early to fit them in. Cilla didn’t have a teacher until September 25th and her first week of school was exhausting for both of us. I had to sit with her while she did her school work and sitting at the computer all day is tiring for anyone.  I would get her outside for recess and lunch hour to move around and get rid of some pent-up energy. After Cilla’s school I had to teach my piano students virtually, so I was stuck in front of a screen for another 4 or 5 hours.

 

At 8:30 am I walked 2 km in the rain, which was now more of a gentle mist, to the corner of Woodbine Ave and Danforth Ave. The sky was grey and cloudy with no promise of the sun coming out and it was a cool 8 degrees, but felt refreshing in my tank top and shorts. The plan was to run on the Martin Goodman Trail, or at least part of it.  When I got to my designated starting point I did a quick warm-up, gave myself a countdown and took off.  Immediately I had a long downhill which I took advantage by relaxing my legs to let gravity do the work.

 

At the 3 kilometre mark I reached Woodbine beach, where I connected with the Martin Goodman Trail. The lake was shimmering in the distance, the water calm and gently lapping at the shore. Lakeshore Boulevard was closed to traffic going east-bound allowing cyclists and runners to run on the road. There were some friendly runners and we exchanged greetings, while other runners were focusing hard to keep from falling off the pack they were running with. 

 

At the Canadian Tire the trail turned left and travelled parallel to Leslie Street—the worst part of the trail as it entered more of an industrial area. The trail was rather secluded here and it was nice to see other runners pass by. The trail then turned right again and travelled alongside the lake where we were surrounded by trees and other vegetation. The trees were dropping their golden, amber and scarlet leaves, many of them falling on the path. The smell from the leaves as they took their last dying breath reminded me of warm sweaters, cuddling by the fire, homemade apple pie and visits with grandparents.

 

I pushed myself to maintain my 5:20 pace which felt impossible at times.  I would be sailing along easily, my pace feeling smooth and in control, and then my breathing would become laboured, and my legs would get tired and heavy. Then after a few minutes of pushing I would be okay again. It helped that I had beautiful surroundings and upbeat music to keep me distracted.

 

I turned around at Cherry beach, the 7 km mark to run the last 3 km. I was feeling ecstatic and I wanted to high-five everyone I passed (I didn’t). I was able to push my speed a little and finished outside the Ashbridges Bay Wastewater Treatment Plant in the time of 52:30 with a 5:15 km pace. I did even better than I hoped to. There was no one else around, but it didn’t matter. I was elated that I was able complete my goal.

 




Having finished the race, I ran a further 6 kilometres home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Release! Dare to Run: Marathon Training While Navigating Life With a Toddler and Managing Chronic Pain

  When I started training for my first marathon, I looked for books to read about other women's experiences of beginning running at an o...